"Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature can not do without." ~Confucius

Friday, April 20, 2012

Lullabies with Meaning

Well, baby M is coming up on his 1st birthday. Hard to believe...
Around the time he was born, I was reading Noel Piper's book about family traditions (you can check out the online version here.). She wrote briefly about singing songs for her kids' bedtimes that reflected her desires and prayers for each one specifically. For the Piper family, these were hymns of their faith - well-loved and sung over the years.

Whether you sing hymns or not, the concept of having a special song for each child is filled with delightful bonding opportunities: the parent knowing the child or the circumstances surrounding the child's arrival so well, that they lovingly choose a song to "fit the occasion"; the child knowing that he/she is known and loved enough to have a special song unto him/herself. Just beautiful.

I took this to heart when baby M (who was a surprise-pregnancy) arrived. I did grow up singing hymns in church, and one that came to my mind upon baby M's arrival was Great is Thy Faithfulness. I was nervous about baby #3.... not "ready" for baby #3.... so the hymn was, for me, a song that reminded me that God has been faithful in the past, and He will be faithful still. Faithful to give a weak mother what she needs to unconditionally love this precious boy.

It could be any song special to you, special to your child or special to your family.
"All the Pretty Little Horses" for the sweet girl who plays with her horses all day.
"All Night, All Day" for the boy who is afraid of leaving mom or dad.
Welsh, German, French, etc. songs to reflect heritage and family... there are so many options.
You should choose something meaningful so that when they ask, "Why do you always sing that song to me?" You can tell them right away. And they'll always remember both the song and the reason.

I'm working backward with the other two... don't really have a song that's hands-down for them, but maybe it will come...  But little baby M definitely knows "Great is Thy Faithfulness" - He quiets right down when I sing it before bedtime as if he's listening to each word... It's what I sing to him most often, and probably always will.
I hope when HE sings that as a boy and as a man, we can exchange a look that says, "Yep, that is your song." And, I pray the beautiful truths in that hymn will be characteristic of his life as well... And I am very thankful for God's faithfulness and the blessings that our boys are.
"All I have needed Thy hand has provided,
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord unto me." 

What about you? Do you have a special song unique to each or perhaps one child?




No comments:

Post a Comment