"Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature can not do without." ~Confucius

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Possum Come A-Knockin'



I was at the library the other day and was telling the lady at the counter about my little blog and she suggested "Possum Come A Knockin."  I had to go and look it up because I had never learned it before; and ever since I did, I've been singing this little tune around the house, anxiously awaiting my hold request for the book from the library to come in...  and finally, it came!

So, we had fun with this little number, and we hope you can too!

First - Check out this book from your library. If it or another one similar is not available, you can just use the words or the melody.
"Possum Come A-Knockin'" by Nancy Van Laan

I love this book and the trouble-making expression on the possum's face. :-)

Next - Get familiar with the chant and the melody. Here's us doing the melody to the chorus. The rest of it is chanted, as we also demonstrate (albeit imperfectly):

Gather kiddos and read the book together, chanting it in rhythmic sing-songy speaking. 
Have kids do two "knocks" after the word door. 

This knock could be the kids knocking on a hard surface, clapping twice, or striking a drum/bowl, etc. (which is what my children chose this time). 

Example: 

Granny was a sittin' and a-rockin' and a-knittin' 
When a possum come a-knockin' at the door. (KNOCK, KNOCK!)

Ma was busy cookin' in the kitchen makin' taters
When a possum come a-knockin' at the door. (KNOCK, KNOCK!


This is just the beginning of what you can do with this little rhyme.... dress ups, making sounds for each character, adding more instruments, etc. etc.... 

Be enthusiastic, silly and as musical as you can. Have fun! 




No comments:

Post a Comment