"Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature can not do without." ~Confucius

Monday, January 14, 2013

Make-It-A-Song-Monday - Musicals!

So, I semi-recently saw Les Miserables in the theatre. It was a fun night out with some friends, and I really wanted to see it, seeing as me and 5,000,000,000 other people love the show.

Do you really want to know my opinion of the lead roles' singing? Maybe not.... so, I'll just skip that.

But, I have been singing Les Mis songs all day every day since I saw the movie. And, if you're like me, you start to get creative with the lyrics.

Today, I made "At the End of the Day" into a song about vegetables.
It went something like this....

At the end of our lunch, there still are those carrots.
And also some broccoli, staring at me.
I know I have to eat it. I won't get candy if not.
But I really don't want to eat it, healthy or not.
But mommy looks angry.

Then we made it a bit more veggie-descriptive, since the boys didn't care for my rendition as much (I know, what gives???).

Oh, we need to eat all of our broccoli and carrots,
Our green beans and peas, and all our fruit too.
All these foods make us stronger,
so we'll eat our veggies and fruit,
to be strong like super heroes, they eat them too.
And they eat them quickly!


This one came to my head easily at nighttime...

At the end of the day, the children are crazy.
Like they don't even know that it's bedtime at all.
Running down the hallway, laughing and singing and shouting,
Mom and Dad are stunned, ready to fall.
And we can't find clean jammies.


Do you want to know other lyrics that have destroyed enhanced these lovely melodies? I thought you'd want to know!

"I Dreamed a Dream"
I dreamed a dream of toy-free floors,
where I won't trip, and spill my coffee.
I dreamed of children who close doors
quietly, so they won't wake baby....


Anyway - enough glimpses into my life....

Melodies from musicals are great for fond remembrances from your own childhood which you can pass onto your kids. I certainly wouldn't put my 5 year old in front of "Les Mis" yet, but a few I would do are, "Mary Poppins" or  "The Sound of Music" or "Chitty, Chitty, Bang Bang" or "The King and I" or "Annie" or "Lion King" or "Peter Pan."

Here's some fun from "Mary Poppins" to get you singing today... Go Here!.  Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. I totally need this!!! I can't write lyrics to save my life (Dan is good at that). But I can sing! And I just saw Les Mis on stage at the Academy of Music in Philly. I've been singing the songs for days. So these are perfect. And the boys loved them!

    ReplyDelete